1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended outage 4/1 and 4/2/2011

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jay, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jay

jay CHW General Manager Staff Member

Admin Post
    At approximately 5:00 pm Central Time on 4/1/2011 we lost access to serv-1.crazyhotelworkers.com. This is our main web and email server. This was discovered when I got to work at 9:00 pm on 4/1.
    After attempting to contact support at our hosting company, a stop was made at the data center this morning to check on the physical status of the server. Everything appeared normal with the server, however, we were unable to get a network link. I attempted to use my netbook to check for a network link as well, and was unable to obtain one on it.
    An email was sent to the data center's engineering manager who was able to verify that there was no link to the switch we are connected to at which time he made a trip to the data center. Upon his arrival, it was discovered that during some spring cleaning at the data center, the network cable between our computer and their equipment had accidentally been disconnected. Once the cable was plugged back in, the system came back up with only minor issues at around 1:00 pm.
    Due to the extended loss of network connectivity, our email server stopped responding, which was corrected around 8:15 pm Central time tonight with a restart of the email server software. I want to sincerely apologize to our members who were affected by this downtime. If you have any questions, please contact help@crazyhotelworkers.com<WBR></WBR>. Thanks! ^js