1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilton Benefits, OnQ and General

Discussion in 'Hilton' started by unabridged1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. unabridged1

unabridged1 Hotel Worker

Hey y'all,

I interviewed for a Hilton (doubletree) property and am wondering about how it is to work for that company?

Corporate support?
    Strictness?
    HHonors pain in the ass guests?
    Benefits?
    Perks?

And what is On Q software like? I currently use Opera.

2. whiskeyish

whiskeyish Hotel Worker

Well, it depends--is it a corporate-owned or franchised property?

Corporate support is pretty great, depending on corporate's relationship with the owners, the condition of the property, etc. I will say this--the tech support helpdesk is a nightmare. I'm not a fan. They recently outsourced to Accenture, and I've taught my desk to fix their own screw-ups because of the standard tech support bullshit.

Strictness--Hilton is very, very strict about properties being up to standard; however, we've never had much of a problem, as I'm a bit of a rulesnazi. Wear your nametag and press your uniform. Smile.

Hhonors PITA guests: I've had a few Diamond Divas, but...honestly, I don't have too many problems. My Diamonds and Golds are much more laid-back than my Blues and Silvers, who want all the benefits for none of the cost or loyalty.

Benefits/Perks: again, it depends--corporate or franchise? My property is a franchised hotel, and I get very basic health benefits, as well as the Hilton Employee travel program. Employee rates are very, very reasonable (read: dirt cheap) and available consistently, in most areas, even over big events and holidays. Plus, we can sign up for Hhonors (finally, Jesus). If you had a previous Hhonors account, they will combine it with your employee account, vesting your stays--so I'm a Diamond again. *flounces*

OnQ: OnQ is very pointy-clicky, in comparison to say, Maestro/Wizard/Fosse. I have not much of a frame of reference regarding Opera, but it's easy enough that I taught the fast food reject girl to use it and not screw up magnanimously.

Overall? If it's a decent property, take it. Hilton is a great company to work for.

3. AzkadelliaMJ

AzkadelliaMJ Hotel Worker

Not the one who asked but this is good to know, we've just been Hilton'd. I'm still a bit sceptical but it's nice to hear from someone with experience.

4. FrooFather

FrooFather New Member

Hilton is great. As Whiskeyish said the tech support is horrible. Anytime I have to call I ask to speak with a level 2 tech. They are usually smarter and actually know the system. The rest of them are reading from a FAQ book. But I am glad that when they switched to Accenture it didnt affect the high up tech guys. Mr. Shane and a few others are still there. Very smart ppl who can fix the screw ups caused by Accenture. I work at a franchise hotel so we have no health benefits. Just the employee travel. Super cheap rates. Helps alot when you traveling. Diamond guests can get annoying. I have had guys seriously call themselves "Mr. Diamond". Then they ask for unreasonable things. But in my 3 yrs of working at a hilton property I have met some amazing ppl. Some diamond members. Some Gold. Some who refused to sign up for HHonors all together. Each of them have been amazing. All around I can say I love working at a Hilton hotel. Many bad experiences caused by guests and stupid co-workers but the good far outweighs the bad. And OnQ is simple. You take lessons when you first start. Takes prolly 3 days to finish them all. Basic stuff really. The only hard part is learning how to deal with guests. And boredom. Lol

5. Bill

Bill New Member

Next month we are converting to a DoubleTree. I've been doing the onQ lessons, and the one example was about going adjustments and the story went, "a guest called down the next day and said theyre a/c unit stopped working during the night. you apoligize to the guest and tell her that you will send a maintaince man to fix it and that you dont expect her to pay for the night"
    PLEASE tell me we dont have to act like that. We will be bankruped in a month

6. whiskeyish

whiskeyish Hotel Worker

You won't be bankrupted--it builds loyalty. If a PTAC unit goes out in the night, it really does make a difference in the quality of their stay, so that sort of comp and "falling on the sword" does seem to build more loyalty than just saying "sorry about that, have a complimentary cookie."

At Hampton/HI&S, we have the 100% Guarantee--and you use it far less often than you'd think. Doubletree has a similar, but somewhat less lenient, system that runs parallel to Hilton/Hilton Suites, in which room comps, discounts, etc., are encouraged as a loyalty-building customer service technique. Pretty brilliant, all things considered.

7. encadm

encadm Hotel Worker

you don't really automatically go to free night. you can also do the fruit basket. which could be anything really like a complimentary breakfast or $10 gift card.